Does New York Really Suck and Are We Just Addicted?

The Huffington Post published an article in its Comedy section this weekend called 10 Reasons New York Isn’t as Great as You Think It Is.  In it, Mark Brennan Rosenberg explains all the reasons New York sucks.

I recently changed firms, found a new apartment, and took some time off to contemplate this very concept.  I thought a lot about my move to New York, when I was wide-eyed and everything was new.  Like any other New Yorker, that feeling has faded and New York is now home.  I’ve settled into a routine, complete with the good, the bad, and the things only a New Yorker can appreciate.

Does New York suck?  I don’t think so.  It’s just the greatest place to live and the worst place to live all rolled into one.

chinatown

Let’s break down some of the reasons that, according to Mark, New York sucks:

“The weather.”

Yes, the weather in New York is terrible.  However, Mark exaggerates the extent of the cold winter.  Like most people who grew up on the East Coast, I can remember far more snow and far colder winters.  If anything, I miss the snow and wish more fell in Manhattan.  The summer is pretty awful, but drinking outside on the water usually makes me forget that it’s summer and I’m surrounded by concrete.

“It’s the best place to be if you’re having a good day…”

Mark again focuses on the weather.  Anyone who has lived in New York is intimately familiar with those lovely New York days days when it’s pouring rain, the subway is blocks away and there are no taxis.  Yeah, New York sucks on those days.  But so does every other city, right?

“Everyone works their asses off.”

Truth.

“There are a ton of great restaurants.”

Mark comments that despite infinite culinary possibilities, New Yorkers have ADD and often end up at the diner around the corner.  I must say, I’ve never gotten tired of trying new restaurants.  In fact, it’s one of my favorite things about living in New York.

“People will do anything to get attention.”

Mark comments that everyone in New York wants to feel important, but no one actually is.  While I agree New York has quite a few more social climbers than other cities, I personally enjoy the anonymity.  I like not knowing everyone, being able to experience new things, and being able to go out without running into any of my ex-boyfriends.  If I wanted to be a big fish in a small pond, I’d move back to Boston.

“New York is the home to every mentally unstable girl in the country.”

I have no idea what he is talking about, obviously.

“Yeah, New York sucks. But it’s kind of like crystal meth. Once you get a taste of it, however bad it is for you, you never want to live without it.”

Does New York suck?  Am I just addicted?  Maybe.  But, like any addict, I’ll do anything to get a fix.

Like what you see? Don’t forget to like City Gal on Facebook, follow City Gal on Twitter, and sign up for City Gal’s mailing list for exclusive news and updates!

7 comments on Does New York Really Suck and Are We Just Addicted?

1. Harvey (H-Bomb's Worldwide Karaoke)
    April 8, 2013 at 11:20 pm (4 years ago)

The article you mention is the second HuffPo article I’ve seen today that seems solely designed to generate page clicks. It’s really a crappy article. Granted, it purports to be in the “Comedy” genre, although it doesn’t succeed particularly well at that either. And half the things he says are in the vein of, “I know NYC has all these amazing amenities, but I don’t take advantage of them so they don’t count”; or “I’m going to project my own neuroses onto everyone else.”

So you started a new job, Koren? Congrats!
    Harvey (H-Bomb’s Worldwide Karaoke) recently posted..A long weekend in Nashville, the cradle of country musicMy Profile

• City Gal
      April 9, 2013 at 12:43 am (4 years ago)

I decided to gloss over the fact that he complains about how poor he is (an actual problem in New York) and how his job doesn’t offer health insurance, or how much he secretly hates doing cultural things. However, I can’t disagree with his sentiment. I think New York has the best and the worst – it’s just how your personality and lifestyle fit within what New york has to offer. Sometimes I hate this city. Sometimes I love it as much as the day I moved here. But it’s home, for better or worse.
      City Gal recently posted..Does New York Really Suck and Are We Just Addicted?My Profile

2. Jess @UsedYorkCity
    April 9, 2013 at 8:35 am (4 years ago)

Congrats on all the exciting new stuff going on in your life! And yeah, totally agree with this article. While I adore this city and will forever be a cheerleader of how it’s simply the BEST place on earth, sometimes you just need a break. (Hence why we both probably enjoy traveling so much;-)
    Jess @UsedYorkCity recently posted..UYC’s Guide: 5 Non-Cafe Spots To Study In NYCMy Profile

• City Gal
      April 9, 2013 at 12:30 pm (4 years ago)

Until I actually move, I am taking the subway to the office in rush hour each morning. NOT my favorite part of living in NY. Can’t wait to be back to walking shortly!

3. Haruka Tenou
    April 9, 2013 at 11:16 am (4 years ago)

Thanks for this. I’m just getting ready to move to NYC in 2 weeks and I will definitely keep this article in mind when I get there. I am from San Francisco where we have horribly windy, cold and gray summers and very mild winters so I, for one, am looking forward to having a proper hot summer and a proper cold winter for once, at least you know what clothes to buy and are not always confused when it can be sunny 80 degrees one day and then in the mid 50s the next. I personally am looking forward to not going out of the house and seeing people I am trying not to run into, it’s going to be a complete startover for me and I am up to the challenge. Now all I need is a job. LOL. Keep up the good work!
    Haruka Tenou recently posted..A very vintage weekend.My Profile

• City Gal
      April 9, 2013 at 12:31 pm (4 years ago)

We certainly have rapid weather changes in NYC! I am sure you’ll love it here though! 😉

4. Nyc resident
    May 28, 2013 at 7:44 pm (4 years ago)

New York is no longer a real city. It’s vertical suburbs, as intolerant of conflict and life as a desert. No one takes NYC seriously because it’s nothing but trust fund kids and tools with no ethical objection to working for planet wrecking capitalist oppressors. Plus it’s too expensive for real creatives to hang out, and generally people are either resentful and broke or arrogant and bourgeois. The “culture” is mediocre, the money is too expensive, and the people are alcoholic workaholic money addicts. Why pay thousands a month to live in filth, governed by a space cadet like bloomy who has so much money he doesn’t live on this planet? They’re so selfish they don’t even clean up the town they live in with their millions. Manhattan!? try getting a good night’s sleep with the noise and rats and i hope you don’t mind overpaying for everything. when the trucks stop bringing food in everyone will starve. your building is falling apart but the garbage here sells for 50 bucks a box so it rents for 3000 a month, what a deal. Brooklyn off the L? Hahaha with the yuppie-spawn pretending to be poor (“hipsters”). They have no community except in “style.” Try to look cool while you get robbed by your grocer and probably by your born and raised here neighbor, who cant help it since he is being screwed harder than any poor person in any city in amerika. Look around you- it’s ugly and dirty and polluted and they drove all the culture out with the poor people. A few years ago your apartment rented for 125 a month- Now you’re a slave to multimillionaires, duped by the image of a dead city.
    Damn right it’s not as great as you think it is. It’s a sad shadow of its former self. Thank the cops and landlords for this, the vertical suburbs that thinks it’s a city. Unless you’re a multimillionaire, it’s just a glorified slum. You’re living in a dream world and it will be doomed this coming year or the next when hurricane exxon comes thru and makes sandy look like a summer breeze, smelling of piss and oil like this fuckin town.